Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Oatmeal cookies

I had a craving for oatmeal cookies but didn't like the
recipes I have, so I went searching for a new one. This one
looked good so I thought I would give it a try. I just took
out the first batch and tried one. We have a winner. They
are very tasty and have a nice crunchy texture. I added
about 2/4 cup of chocolate chips and a 1/2 cup raisins.

FAMOUS QUAKER OATMEAL COOKIES

3/4 c. vegetable shortening
1 c. firmly packed Imperial brown sugar
1/2 c. Imperial granulated sugar
1 egg
1/4 c. water
1 tsp. vanilla
3 c. Quaker oatmeal, uncooked
1 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. soda

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat together shortening,
Imperial sugars, egg, water and vanilla until creamy.
Combine and add remaining dry ingredients; mix well. Drop by
rounded teaspoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350
degrees for 12 to 15 minutes. For variety, add chopped nuts,
raisins, chocolate chips or coconut. Makes about 5 dozen
cookies.