Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Default Foods, and the Spices for Them

Mordechai Housman wrote:
> Foods, and the Spices for Them
>
> Artichokes: Basil, chive, curry, dill, thyme, almonds, bacon, cheese,
> croutons, red wine, butter.
>
> Asparagus: Basil, caraway, celery seed, marjoram, nutmeg, oregano,
> tarragon, anchovies, bacon, cheese, lemon, mushrooms, sausage, scallions
>
> Baking: Cardamom, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, ginger, mace, clove, mint
>
> Beans: Cheese, horseradish, basil, caraway, dill, sage, chives, thyme,
> bacon, onion, red pepper
>
> Beef: Bay leaf, cinnamon, cumin, dill, fennel, marjoram, tarragon

[snip the rest]

Like the other list, this is a useless grab bag, no better than
grabbing bottles at random from your spice cupboard. Are all 14 things
listed for asparagus equally good? Do they all appear in some classic
recipe or other? Can't I bake with, say, vanilla? Does no one but me
like thyme with beef? Useless. -aem