Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] ranck@vt.edu is offline

Default Making Candy Bars, question about caramel.

Larry Bud > wrote:
> I'm trying to "mass produce" (for myself) Payday candy bars, just for

> Let it cool, and the caramel is a lot harder than I would have liked.

> What do I have to add to the caramel to make it so it doesn't harden so
> much after it cools? (Note, I did NOT overcook the caramel, just
> enough to melt it).

Corn syrup is what the big candy makers use. Cream will work, too.
Experiment a little with those two and you'll hit the consistency
you want.

Honestly, my wife buys 10 lb. bars of caramel from one of the big
suppliers for making this sort of thing in her chocolate shop,
although she does know how to make it herself she spends more
time on the fudges and truffles which are her specialties.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.