Posted to alt.food.wine
st.helier[_1_] st.helier[_1_] is offline

Default Something smells!

"enoavidh" wrote .......

>> Why should I patronize someone who *lies*?
>> Stealth marketers, like all other spammers, are lying.

to which "Mark Lipton" commented....

> Excellent point, De. Good to see you around these parts, BTW.

As the person who stirred up this hornets nest, this is my point.

I am not against honest, commercial posters using AFW, provided they are not
blatant advertising.

I am totally against bullshit posts, purporting to be enthusiastic comment,
but which in fact are made by persons with a vested interest, and are
designed to mislead.

If a person was fully upfront (Hi, my name is Fred and I have recently
started exporting our new label of Central Otago to the USA - keep a look
out for it - we think our SB & PN is something special etc etc) I hold this
to be an honest merchant.

OK - it is commercial, and I personally *may* gently remind the poster that
AFW was not commercial - but over the eight years I have frequented AFW, I
have seen a proliferation of posts, where, by their nature, the poster knows
implicitly that commercial posts are not tolerated, but by stealth,
advertise anyhow.

Now, I am not against any new contributor joining this ng, contrary to what
my friend Mr. Neidich says - I encourage any and all to join this society
of wine lovers.

Professor Lipton says that my initial judgment (in respect to this incident)
may not be Stealth Marketing.

I will reserve judgment - to me the proof will emerge one month from now -
when I recheck the Google Groups archive to see if either has made any
further contribution to this or any other forum. (OK I may have too much
time on my hands: sobeit - it is a shitty job but someone has to do it -
otherwise, the spammers win !!!!!

Anyone want to place a small wager??????

My bottle of NZ pinot against anything you'd like to counter (Please Note:
If your country / State does not allow the importation etc of wine, I will
consider cash in lieu!!!!!

--

st.helier