Posted to rec.food.baking
Eric Jorgensen Eric Jorgensen is offline

Default Can you tell the difference?

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 18:14:23 -0400
"Bob (this one)" > wrote:

> And if you want still more of that flavor, keep your butter
> in a butter dish on the kitchen counter at home, rather than
> in the fridge. It "ripens" and the flavor intensifies.
> Obviously, if it's very hot in the kitchen (more than 90°F),
> this won't work because the butter liquefies. There's no
> issue of spoilage or rancidity if it's used within a couple
> weeks.

I agree with everything you said. I just want to clarify (no pun
intended) the point that we discussed two different sources of 'butter
flavor' - here you're referring to that which comes from ageing the
butter, but we also discussed the milk solids precipitated out during
the crystallization phase of the butter manufacture process - that being
whey proteins and caseinates, which don't increase over time. Well, the
caseinates might, I forget if they're manufactured by bacteria.