Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Nick[_3_] Nick[_3_] is offline

Default Extended Instructions for Making Wines from Kits

Ray Calvert wrote:
> "Nick" > wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've made over a half a dozen wine kits over the last few years and I
>> recently decided to see if I can improve on my successes by following
>> the instructions in the archives of Jack Keller's blogs dated 12/18/03:
>>
>> http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/wineblog2.asp
>>
>> I'm making a Barolo and a Valpolicella from kits by Vineco.
>>
>> I follow instructions explicitly from day 1 until today. I haven't
>> changed anything yet, but I'm wondering if I should.
>>
>> The kits were started on 8/14. When vigorous fermentation subsided on day
>> 7, I added back the gallon in reserve. Fermentation continued, by has now
>> stopped on day 11. I check SG and both are around .994. Here's my
>> question:
>>
>> I am used to racking and topping off when fermentation ceases. Should I
>> forget the norm and let them sit until day 28 as instructed, or should I
>> rack and top off with similar wine? I'm mainly concerned because my 6
>> gallon carboy leaves way too much room below the neck.

> I try to rack only as often as necessary. Of course each racking looses
> some wine to I try to minimise this. No uncessecary racking. If the wine
> has been fermenting well under an airlock the head space is not problem and
> the wine can remain for a few weeks waiting for it to clear better so there
> will be less racking.
>
> But if the wine is not fermenting or very little fermentation and you opened
> the carboy to test it, as I assume you did since you know the SG, then the
> head space is full of air rather than CO2 and you need to top up right away
> or rack into smaller carboys where you do not have to top up.

Ah...damn. I should have know better than to open the carboy. I only
did it to take an SG to make sure the fermentation didn't stop. I'll
top them up tonight with similar wines.

>> One other quick question...On day 30 is says to rack into a 5 gallon
>> carboy. Shouldn't this be a 6 gallon as in the start on day 1?
>>

> They are probably recomending a 5 gal carboy so you do not have to top up so
> much. This is where having a variety of carboys is very handy. Go from a 6
> to a 5 and you will probably fill it and not need topping.

Again, I'll top up with similar wine and then on the day 30 rack, maybe
then I'll go down to 5 gallon carboys.

Thanks!