Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Ray Calvert Ray  Calvert is offline

Default Extended Instructions for Making Wines from Kits

"Nick" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've made over a half a dozen wine kits over the last few years and I
> recently decided to see if I can improve on my successes by following
> the instructions in the archives of Jack Keller's blogs dated 12/18/03:
>
> http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/wineblog2.asp
>
> I'm making a Barolo and a Valpolicella from kits by Vineco.
>
> I follow instructions explicitly from day 1 until today. I haven't
> changed anything yet, but I'm wondering if I should.
>
> The kits were started on 8/14. When vigorous fermentation subsided on day
> 7, I added back the gallon in reserve. Fermentation continued, by has now
> stopped on day 11. I check SG and both are around .994. Here's my
> question:
>
> I am used to racking and topping off when fermentation ceases. Should I
> forget the norm and let them sit until day 28 as instructed, or should I
> rack and top off with similar wine? I'm mainly concerned because my 6
> gallon carboy leaves way too much room below the neck.

I try to rack only as often as necessary. Of course each racking looses
some wine to I try to minimise this. No uncessecary racking. If the wine
has been fermenting well under an airlock the head space is not problem and
the wine can remain for a few weeks waiting for it to clear better so there
will be less racking.

But if the wine is not fermenting or very little fermentation and you opened
the carboy to test it, as I assume you did since you know the SG, then the
head space is full of air rather than CO2 and you need to top up right away
or rack into smaller carboys where you do not have to top up.

> One other quick question...On day 30 is says to rack into a 5 gallon
> carboy. Shouldn't this be a 6 gallon as in the start on day 1?

They are probably recomending a 5 gal carboy so you do not have to top up so
much. This is where having a variety of carboys is very handy. Go from a 6
to a 5 and you will probably fill it and not need topping. I like to have
some 1/2 gal carboys to take any overage or I put it in wine bottles, let it
set in the fridge for a day or more and drink a bit of Neuvo Wine. Just
decant of the sedement. In France you can buy Neuvo Wine.

Ray