Posted to rec.food.preserving
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Chow Chow -- a great way to use green tomatoes

Carla Gilliss wrote:
> I just put it in jars and wait for the lids to pop(seal) close...I find that
> this last...if the lids don't seal properly, then I will boil the jar (s)
> about 20 minutes. But normally, I just let the lids seal themselves, my
> grandmother did and my mother does the same.

I would process them in a boiling water bath for about 15 minutes. The
stuff is already cooked enough that if can't hurt.

Someone mentioned sealing jelly jars with paraffin. I still remember
that; it's kind of a lost art to do it right, and the results are always
less reliable than using modern canning lids. (and paraffin has gotten
so expensive, I'll bet it costs more to use than metal lids.) I can't
think of any reason to seal jars with wax anymore, except maybe to do it
once just to experience doing it.

I do have *one* canning recipe, also for green tomatoes, that I use
"open kettle" canning method. They get too soggy during boiling water
bath. I should probably try it with 30 minute processing at 180 to 185
degrees water bath and see how they turn out.

PICKLED GREEN TOMATOES

3 Gal. green tomatoes, cut into chunks
1 Qt. onion, cut into eighths
3/4 Qt. chopped jalapeņos
5 Lb. sugar
3/4 Cup salt
3 Qt white vinegar
1 Tsp. black pepper

Bring last four ingredients to boil. Add vegetables and simmer 3
minutes or until the color changes. DO NOT BOIL! Pack into sterile jars.

--
Best regards,
Bob