Posted to rec.food.preserving
George Shirley George Shirley is offline

Default Chow Chow -- a great way to use green tomatoes

whiner can't stop complaining@Canada wrote:

> George Shirley wrote:
>
>> Carla Gilliss wrote:
>>
>>> I just put it in jars and wait for the lids to pop(seal) close...I
>>> find that this last...if the lids don't seal properly, then I will
>>> boil the jar (s) about 20 minutes. But normally, I just let the lids
>>> seal themselves, my grandmother did and my mother does the same.
>>>

>> Most of the active folks on this newsgroup would not recommend that
>> method. The boiling water bath is necessary to ensure a lid seal that
>> will last. Check out the FAQ for this group for websites that discuss
>> this method.

> oUR FAMILY FOR 3 GENERATIONS JUST PUT MELTED WAX ON TOP OF THE CHOW-CHOW.

Why are you shouting this to the roof tops? That method of canning used
to be, 40 or 50 years ago, for jams and jellies and was fairly well
accepted for the time. Today we use BWB for jams and jellies to ensure a
safe product that will last up to two years, often more, when the jars
are properly sealed. I don't want to sound pedantic but there are safer,
approved methods nowadays. You might want to try them.

George