Posted to rec.food.baking
Bob (this one) Bob (this one) is offline

Default Can you tell the difference?

pltrgyst wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 03:45:14 -0400, "Bob (this one)" > wrote:
>
>> Why is that such a hard thing to do - reduce the salt in
>> recipes?

> Because, for one thing, the amount of salt in "lightly salted" butter is highly
> variable, by both manufacturer and batch.

Sorry. No, it isn't. There are stringent standards for
ingredients and process for the commercial manufacture of
butter. If you look at the nutrition panels of butter
packages of different brands and different batches, the
numbers are constant. And they're constant because the law
demands that the info be accurate, and because the public
expects butter to taste a certain way and it's this way.
Otherwise they don't buy it.

> We don't buy any but unsalted butter for any purpose.

I'm sure that's the case. But there's no good reason that
you've offered.

Pastorio