Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking,rec.food.sourdough
Andrew Price Andrew Price is offline

Default The Artisan - Recipe Upload - 8/17/2006

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 16:03:06 -0400, "Bob (this one)" >
wrote:

[---]

>"Carpaccio was invented by Giuseppe Cipriani

I thought it might be interesting to see what the Italians themselves
have to say about this, so I looked it up in the Zingarelli, a
standard reference dictionary in Italy, such as is Websters in the
U.S., or the OED in other English-speaking countries. Thus far, they
agree with you, but

>in 1950

"carpaccio
[denominato così da G. Cipriani intorno al 1960, perché il piatto fu
inventato in occasione della mostra del pittore V. Carpaccio
(1465-1526) a Venezia]"

they date it ten years later

>at
>Harry's Bar in Venice, Italy. It was named for the
>Renaissance painter Vittore Carpaccio who was noted for his
>use of red in his paintings. Thin sliced raw beef served
>with a cold vinaigrette made with olive oil, or just olive
>oil and lemon juice (and sometimes Parmesan cheese).

Zingarelli agrees with that, too:

"Vivanda consistente in carne, gener. filetto, affettata molto
sottile, condita con olio e formaggio parmigiano in scaglie e
consumata cruda"

but then goes on to add that by extension

"(est.) Preparazione simile a base di pesce: carpaccio di salmone
crudo; carpaccio di pesce spada."

the term also includes fish-based preparations. My version of the
Zingarelli dates from 1996, so it does not appear unreasonable that by
normal evolution of language, the term now also be extended to
vegetable-based dishes.