Posted to rec.food.baking
chris chris is offline

Default Can you tell the difference?

Merry wrote:
> Frank103 wrote:
>
>>I have heard that pastry chefs usually prefer unsalted butter rather than
>>salted butter. When it comes to cakes and cookies, can you actually taste
>>the difference between salted and unsalted butter? I guess people who are
>>professionals can but can most others tell the difference? thanks in
>>advance.
>>Frank

> I use unsalted butter- most recipes call for salt anyway, so why ruin
> what you are making with more. If I must use salted, I reduce the
> amount of salt called for in the recipe

Merry:

My yes you can. Especially in a butter cookie recipe. At Christmas
time I bake a lot of cookies that are mostly butter, nuts and flour adn
I can taste the difference. It might be because I generally have a low
salt diet so can taste the difference more readily but I know many other
people who can tell as well.

Chris