Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking,rec.food.sourdough
Boron Elgar[_1_] Boron Elgar[_1_] is offline

Default The Artisan - Recipe Upload - 8/17/2006

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 11:48:27 -0700, Brian Mailman
> wrote:

>Bob (this one) wrote:
>
>> Jerry, you posted two references, both of which I dealt
>> with, and took it further to full explanation of why I made
>> the assertions. You've just repeated your initial notion
>> that because you did it, it was right. Carpaccio should be
>> red meat on a plate - to echo the color palette of the
>> painter Carpaccio, as originally construed at Harry's Bar.

>The same Harry's that developed "Fettucini(e) Alfredo" I imagine....
>
>Well, I suppose this was a reflection on the aspects of raw, and thin
>slices. The same can be said of positing that a strawberry shortcake
>becomes a napoleon, or a moldless trifle. I think the appelation
>"-tini" now applies to just about anything, I"ve seen a "cheesecaketini"
>which was simply a cream cheese mousseline poured into martini glass and
>garnished with piece of candied fruit on a toothpick.
>
>I *believe* it was Pierre Troisgrois (sp?) who was known for telling
>jokes with dishes, such as his salmon scallopine--he was playing on
>large flat disks of flesh and referring to "leg of salmon" which some
>would find amusing.
>
>The problem is when someone doesn't realize they're pulling the finger
>and takes themselves too seriously.
>
>B/

Except that Vegetable Carpaccio is not unknown in Italy, nor is it any
sort of food joke.

The web page below gives a recipe for Carpaccio Vegetale.

http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/sp...carpaccio.html

Vegetable Carpaccio
Carpaccio Vegetale

Robbio is a farming town in Lombardy, near Alessandria, not too far
from the Piedmont border. In the heart of rice-growing country, Robbio
is surrounded by paddies, which produce Italy's famed Baldo, Arbono,
and Carnaroli rice. Da Mino, a small restaurant located in the center
of town, specializes in typical rural dishes of the area, and I was
particularly taken by Chef Enrica Abatte's unusual fresh vegetable
carpaccio. Made with produce from the garden of Pietro Lorizzo, her
husband and the restaurants owner, the macerated paper-thin vegetables
came to the table lightly chilled, tender, and full of texture and
flavor.

When I have the time, I prepare the carpaccio as they do at Da Mino,
but when I don't want to wait, I simply toss all the vegetables and
seasonings together and serve it immediately. The styles are
different; both are delicious. Try this with a light, luscious, and
dry red, such as Bonarda dell'Oltrepó Pavese.

4 medium zucchini, trimmed and
cut into paper-thin rounds
2 teaspoons best-quality red wine vinegar
2 small red bell peppers, stemmed, seeds and pith
removed, cut into paper-thin strips
Fine sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper (optional)
2 cups arugula, rinsed, patted dry,
and torn into bite-size pieces
2 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano, shaved
into paper-thin curls (see Segreti)
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

1. Cover the bottom of a 12-inch round nonreactive dish with a layer
of the zucchini, using half the rounds, slightly over-lapping them in
concentric circles. Using a pastry brush, brush half the vinegar as
evenly as possible over the zucchini. Scatter half the bell pepper
slices over the zucchini, then season lightly with salt and, if
desired, black pepper. Arrange half the arugula leaves on top with
half the Parmesan cheese curls. Drizzle with half the olive oil and
season lightly again with salt and, if desired, pepper. Repeat the
layers using the remaining ingredients.

2. Cover the dish tightly with aluminum foil and refrigerate for 18 to
24 hours. Remove from the refrigerator about 15 minutes before
serving.

Segreti
To shave Parmesan cheese, use a vegetable peeler and simply "peel" the
curls from the hunk of cheese, holding it right over the salad.

And here is a restaurant in Italy that has it on its menu:

http://www.aeolia.com/menu/1991/06menu.htm

Boron