Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking,rec.food.sourdough
Donald Martinich Donald Martinich is offline

Default The Artisan - Recipe Upload - 8/17/2006

In article >,
"Bob (this one)" > wrote:

> Jerry DeAngelis wrote:

> > Zucchini "Carpaccio" Salad:
> > http://www.theartisan.net/zucchini_carpaccio.htm

> It says on that page, "We have named this a carpaccio as it
> is prepared from "raw" Zucchini. When we described this
> dish to a chef friend, his response was "Ah, a carpaccio."
> So we kept the name!" You would have done better to correct
> your "chef" friend.
>
> This is plain silly. Carpaccio refers to a specific dish
> comprised of thinly sliced raw beef or tuna, almost always
> presented as an appetizer, and the name - its etymology -
> comes from the Italian painter, who used red colors
> suggestive of raw beef.
>
> Carpaccio doesn't mean raw. Crudo (-a) means raw. Might as
> well use "tartare" or "sashimi" and completely pervert the
> meanings of the words. Or you could just call it a salad and
> be clear. It isn't even laid out like a beef carpaccio would
> be according to the recipe. It's just a salad.
>
> Zucchini Sashimi sounds like an Italian-Japanese stripper.
>
> Pastorio

I'm with you Bob. It's gotten to a point where menus are almost
unreadable, particularly in the trendier foux-foux restaurants. Another
silly practice is giving foreign names to local food products such as
calling tunas by their Hawaiian names. And I could go on... Anyway, it
all makes for shitty communication.

D.M.