Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking,rec.food.sourdough
Bob (this one) Bob (this one) is offline

Default The Artisan - Recipe Upload - 8/17/2006

Jerry DeAngelis wrote:
> Hello All:
>
> We have just harvested Zucchini, and also bought some great white
> eggplant at our local Farmer's Market. We have developed a couple of
> recipes that take advantage of these Summer vegetables, and we hope
> you will try them, as well as enjoy them.
>
> They a
>
> Zucchini "Carpaccio" Salad:
> http://www.theartisan.net/zucchini_carpaccio.htm

It says on that page, "We have named this a carpaccio as it
is prepared from "raw" Zucchini. When we described this
dish to a chef friend, his response was "Ah, a carpaccio."
So we kept the name!" You would have done better to correct
your "chef" friend.

This is plain silly. Carpaccio refers to a specific dish
comprised of thinly sliced raw beef or tuna, almost always
presented as an appetizer, and the name - its etymology -
comes from the Italian painter, who used red colors
suggestive of raw beef.

Carpaccio doesn't mean raw. Crudo (-a) means raw. Might as
well use "tartare" or "sashimi" and completely pervert the
meanings of the words. Or you could just call it a salad and
be clear. It isn't even laid out like a beef carpaccio would
be according to the recipe. It's just a salad.

Zucchini Sashimi sounds like an Italian-Japanese stripper.

Pastorio