Posted to rec.food.baking
[email protected][_1_] djs0302@aol.com[_1_] is offline

Default Can you tell the difference?

Frank103 wrote:
> I have heard that pastry chefs usually prefer unsalted butter rather than
> salted butter. When it comes to cakes and cookies, can you actually taste
> the difference between salted and unsalted butter? I guess people who are
> professionals can but can most others tell the difference? thanks in
> advance.
> Frank

With some things you can tell a difference especially if the butter is
the main flavor in the recipe. If it's something like a chocolate cake
though then you probably wouldn't notice the difference. Actually it's
whatever you prefer. I prefer to use salted butter. I like to make
things like croissants and Danish pastry and usually I use salted
butter. I used unsalted butter one time and didn't like it as well.