Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Bob Becker Bob Becker is offline

Default Growing grapes in the Northeast

"j.ass" > wrote in message
news:QZMDg.723$Ji1.9@trnddc05...
> Looking to grow some grapes. Any online sources for vines? Any
> recommendations regarding the best type?

Interesting you should bring this up.
Yesterday my wife and I stopped at two wineries in Maine where we live.
One was the first winery in Maine - 20 years old. The wine laws in Maine
had to be rewrittten because of this winery.
The second was not as old, but both of them made only wines from
fruit other than grapes. Apple, pear, and blueberry are the local fruits
and much of the wine was made from these fruits or a blend of them.
They tried growing grapes, but the Maine weather was prohibitive.
It's just too &*#$% cold here.
I am told that there are some microclimates where grapes can be grown,
but they just don't have the sugar content to make a good wine.
I will say that the fruit wines were very good, and we did buy a few bottles
to have on hand.

--
Bob Becker

www.becker.org