Posted to rec.food.baking
Ward Abbott Ward Abbott is offline

Default Cake Pans

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 10:06:57 -0700, "Frank103" >
wrote:

>Hi, this is my first posting to the group.
>
>I read that light colored, shiney (aluminum?) cake pans, as opposed to the
>kind that are treated with a non-stick coating, are preferred because they
>reflect the heat and thus the cake bottom doesn't get too dark. I would be
>interested in knowing your thoughts and preferences as to cake pans. Thanks
>in advance.

Frank....let me be "frank" with you. There is NO reason to turn
this into a "massive" scientific experiment when each contributor will
come out with a different result...thus proving they ARE CORRECT and
nothing you have to say will prove them wrong.

If you are getting "dark bottom" results....turn down the heat. YOUR
oven is too HOT.

If you are baking with "light bottom" results....turn UP the heat.

You know how to check a cake for "doneness", just like grandma did.
Get that toothpick out of the drawer and "check as usual".

After the "frosting" is in place...who cares....unless you burned the
shit out of the bottom of the cake. If you did...you need to PAY
ATTENTION to what you are doing. It is plain and simple.

Here is one of the best whipped frosting recipes I have ever prepared.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Boiled Frosting

Frostings

1 cup milk
4 tablespoon flour
3/4 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix flour and milk over medium heat until it forms a paste. Let cool.

Mix butter and sugar together then beat in cooled flour and milk
mixture.
This will take 10 minutes, at least, until no sugar granules can be
felt
between fingers. Add vanilla.

Yield: 1 batch

The Fine Art of Cooking involves personal choice.
Many preferences, ingredients, and procedures
may not be consistent with what you know to be true.

As with any recipe, you may find your personal
intervention will be necessary. Bon Appetit!