Posted to rec.food.preserving
The Joneses[_1_] The Joneses[_1_] is offline

Default Chow Chow -- a great way to use green tomatoes

Carla Gilliss wrote:

> Chow Chow
>
> Ingredients
>
> Green Tomatoes - 12 cups/3 litres
> Onions, diced - 6 cups/1.5 litres
> Green Pepper, finely chopped - ˝cup/125ml.
> Red Peppers, finely chopped - ˝cup/125ml.
> Salt - ˝cup/125ml.
> Vinegar - 4 cups/1 litre
> Water - 3 cups/750ml.
> Pickling Spice - ˝cup/125ml.
> Sugar, white - 2 cups/500ml.
> Method
>
> Wash, stem and dice tomatoes. Add onion and peppers Sprinkle with salt.
> Cover and let stand several hours or over night.
> Drain brine from vegetables. Rinse well. Place in large kettle and cover
> with vinegar-water mixture.
> Put pickling spice in cheese cloth bag. Immerse in vegetable mixture. Cook
> over medium heat until vegetables are soft and clear. Add sugar to taste.
> Continue cooking for one hour. Remove spice bag. Pour into sterilized jars.
> Number of portions: 6-8

Carla, how long do you boiling water bath this one? I like the look of it.
Might be a good way to use up excess tomatillos. They are a considered a weedy
sort of plant here, but they produce nicely and are tasty.
Edrena