Posted to alt.food.wine
miles miles is offline

Default merlot bloody merlot

Tim S Roberts wrote:
> I drink a fair amount of wine - chardonnays and blends mainly in the whites,
> and all of the red varieties. BUT, whenever I drink merlots, it seems I
> wake the next morning with a headache.

I get headaches with wines at times but never seems to be a particular
wine that does it. Reds more so than whites. I used to think it was
sulfites but someone else here pointed out that its whites that should
have higher sulfites.

Easy to solve. Don't drink Merlot! To me it's a rather non-descript
wine lacking much complexity or depth. Theres also a glut of crap
Merlot at least in the USA market because its more or less become a
entry level wine. I have found a few Merlots that are truly great but
its a rarity. In those cases the winemaker broke from the traditional
Merlot style. Its a grape that needs to go back to whats its good for.
Blending!