Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Kent Kent is offline

Default Smoked Turkey

.. .

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.f...rch+this+group

>>> Not tryin to be a smartass, but google IS your friend. Googling this
>>> group
>>> on a subject turns up alot of good info.Also, if you say what your
>>> smoking
>>> with, someone with a similar smoker can give more specific advice. Good
>>> luck!

>> This is a NG where questions are asked; "what do you do today, and how
>> do
>> you do it?" Almost all with a question looming have been to google. It's
>> not
>> the same as reading what's important right now.
>>
>> BTW, you are an inferior orifice, though not a particularly smart one.
>> How
>> about "average inferior orifice"?

> So Mr. ....Did you brine that turkey? How did it
> come out? I would have given you more specific advice, but I haven't
> brined
> a turkey before...Don't mind Kent...he's a bit of a lunatic, but he is
> harmless, as long as you don't try any of his cooking methods (food
> poisoning...).

I've brined many turkeys for many years, in my garage. The single most
important aspect of brining is the ratio of salt to volume, and to a lesser
degree sugar to volume. All other seasonings are a matter of personal
preference. Fat Man's and Hound's brine, as mentioned in Frohe's post, are
excellent brines, With turkey you should be less assertive with strong,
highly peppered seasonings or you won't taste the turkey.
Regarding the garage technique, the turkey goes into cold water in a picnic
cooler along with some ice at 9PM. At 9AM the water temp. is 35-35F. At some
time point following the turkey is smoke cooked. The turkey is never
stuffed! You'd be asking for trouble. We haven't stuffed a turkey for many
years, following Julia Child's advice. You should always make turkey stock
with the leftover turkey, and save it for the next turkey. Part of the stock
is then used to make gravy. Part of the stock is used in a stuffing cooked
separately on the side. To make the stuffing communicate with higher powers
I add some porcini mushrooms, along with whatever else. Turkey liver is much
more delicate than chicken liver and works well in stuffing.
Hope this helps.
Kent