Frogleg

Default Stocking the spice cabinet..

On 6 Oct 2003 10:30:12 -0700, (Carnivore269)
wrote: (with some commentary from Frogleg)

>I'm actually getting kind of nervous about the white tails.
>Lately when I've been driving home at night, there has been a small
>herd of deer grazing on one of my neighbors lawns. My main garden in
>the back is fenced (and the border collie runs loose in the fenced
>yard), but the herb garden is in the driveway on the west side of the
>house.

Check Google groups for 'deer' topics in rec.gardens and
rec.gardens.edible. OTOH, I can give you the summary: Fence.

>I'm gonna have deer in my freezer if they come near my herb garden.
><G>

I like venison, but best check regs for hunting in your area.

>>swallowtail 'pillars

>Ooh, poor little thangs. Any idea if they hatched out ok?

90mph winds -- I didn't expect to find the survivors. Hope some found
a secure attachment.

>Try growing some Anise. It's easy to grow and the swallowtail 'pillars
>do well on that.

Other than swallowtail food, and seeds for cookies, are other parts of
anise culinarily useful?

>Now if I could just grow some stuff for monarchs...... ;-)

Milkweed

>> No (indoor) birds here. Would love to have one, but my indoor climate
>> is too cold and drafty in winter.

>You'd be surprised at how hardy a cockatoo can be. :-) Mine lives on
>the sun porch

When I visited Miami, I immediately wanted to move there and grow
houseplants as big as trees outdoors, and have a parrot on the porch.
Alas, it's pretty damn cold here (new USDA zone 8) in winter, and as
I mentioned, my house is drafty. Not a site for avian experimentation.

>I got to grow "lettuce basil" one year and have been on the lookout
>for it ever since! One leaf was large enough to cover a slice of bread
>and the flavor was heaven.

Don't overlook the tiny-leafed 'globe' varieties. Very flavorful and
cute as well.

>> I got a big pkg of cheap Korean ground chile (hot!) and made my own
>> no-salt powder (garlic, oregano, cumin, etc.) with a lot left over for
>> custom mix. My Chimayo ground chile (a gift) I parcel out in pinches.
>> Or rather use very stingily.

>Sounds hot! <G> I like to powder the roast peppers they sell around
>here.

Oops. Chimayo not extraordinarily hot -- just precious.

>Chickens like Oregano by the way. <G> They get all the weeds too.

Send me a chicken. :-)