Posted to rec.food.cooking
Cindy Fuller Cindy Fuller is offline

Default Cow Hill is Still Here

In article >,
"modom (palindrome guy)" <moc.etoyok@modom> wrote:

snip

> It was expensive, but fun to shop with D and C at Target for household
> things. And it was even more fun shopping for food at HEB. Stocking
> a kitchen is a fine problem to solve. We got her spices and strainers
> and pasta and pork and veggies and flatware and capers and lemons and
> more. I gave her a Furi santoku, an iron skillet, and a saucier from
> my kitchen. We ate at a couple of restaurants on Guadeloupe, but only
> the spaniakopita and gyros were any good. I had really lousy sushi at
> one joint -- pre made stuff with undercooked rice. Some people have
> no shame.

Modom, my friend, Austin has never struck me as a place to get sushi.
That's like trying to get South Carolina mustard-based bbq sauce at
Sonny Bryan's in Dallas. Ol' Sonny would be rolling over in his grave.
(It's bad enough his restaurant in the West End now serves pulled pork,
according to a reliable source.) Maybe next to Cow Hill, Austin is
sushi paradise, but that ain't saying much. I'm not big on sushi, but
I'm more likely to eat it now that I'm in Seattle than when I lived
inland. Call it a healthy suspicion of how fresh the fish is, or the
presence of a critical mass of Japanese immigrants or descendents
thereof.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller