Posted to rec.food.cooking
modom (palindrome guy) modom (palindrome guy) is offline

Default Cow Hill is Still Here

And it's still very dry. We're under a drought-induced water
restriction around here. Last I heard Lake Tawakoni is so low that
losing another 2 1/2 feet will mean the town's pumps will be sucking
air. Large brown patches are growing larger in my lawn. The fig
trees hardly bore at all this summer. I missed a few days watering my
potted kaffir lime tree out on the sun-drenched-and-parched deck and
sadly my little tree is no more. It is an ex tree. It has ceased to
be. Were it not in a pot it would be pushing up the daisies. (sorry)
Somehow the basil is still alive. I know not how or why that is so,
but it is. I pulled up and chopped up my tomato vines this morning.
They're compost now.

A friend of mine once told me that Tawakoni is an old Caddo Indian
word that means trailer trash, but that's another matter. I only
bring it up because I borrowed that same friend's pickup last weekend
to move my daughter to Austin. She's rented a sweet little upstairs
apartment in a 1940s-vintage neighborhood and is on the way to setting
up her post-college life. Although I was happy to help her with the
move, let me take this opportunity to declare publicly that, as God is
my witness, modom will never haul a double bed up a flight of stairs
again. Never again, I say.

It was expensive, but fun to shop with D and C at Target for household
things. And it was even more fun shopping for food at HEB. Stocking
a kitchen is a fine problem to solve. We got her spices and strainers
and pasta and pork and veggies and flatware and capers and lemons and
more. I gave her a Furi santoku, an iron skillet, and a saucier from
my kitchen. We ate at a couple of restaurants on Guadeloupe, but only
the spaniakopita and gyros were any good. I had really lousy sushi at
one joint -- pre made stuff with undercooked rice. Some people have
no shame.

I've not posted much lately because of a combination of factors, but
mostly because work has taken up so much of my time. It is certain to
get even worse next week. But I am getting a big-ass raise in the
coming year. Hoopla.

Another factor in my limited rfc output has been the continuing saga
of my new floors. The bamboo is almost done, but the slab preparation
began the first week in June. Workers did things with machines in my
living room that one properly ought only do outside. Gasoline engines
and scores of carbide bits were involved. There is still a layer of
dust in some parts of the house. We had to wash dishes BEFORE cooking
dinner as well as after.

Dinner tonight will be individual little meat loaves made with
quasi-Greek seasoning: lemon, oregano, cinnamon, mint, garlic, red
pepper, etc. I'll probably grill them and make a garlic/yogurt sauce
to serve along side. We still have some edible eggplants in the
garden, so one of them will get grilled, too. I'll probably cut slits
in eggplant halves and stuff basil leaves, tasso slices, and thin
lemon rounds. Other veggies will doubtless present themselves as I
cook.

I think I'll go pick some herbs.
--
modom

"Southern barbecue is a proud thoroughbred whose bloodlines are easily traced.
Texas Barbecue is a feisty mutt with a whole lot of crazy relatives."

--Robb Walsh, Legends of Texas Barbecue Cookbook