Posted to alt.food.barbecue
frohe frohe is offline

Default Smoked Turkey

wrote:
> Hi, I am new to smoking and was thinking of smoking a Turkey. I have
> been looking at some brine recipies and am thinking of doing one with
> honey in it. Can anybody give me some recomendations on a good brine
> recipie and what wood to use. Also any pointers with smoking a turkey
> would be aperciated.

Ya can't beat Hound's or TFM's brines.

Hound's Brine

2 gal water

2 cups kosher salt

3/4 cup brown sugar, lightly packed

1 each juice of 3 oranges

1 each juice of 3 limes

1 each juice of 3 lemons

1 each rinds from oranges, limes and lemon; s

1 sliced white onion

1 head of garlic, crushed

1 bunch of cilantro, chopped

4 serranos to taste

2 tbs rough ground cumin

2 tbs rough ground coriander

1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

1/4 cup chili powder

1/4 cup onion powder

1/4 cup garlic powder

Either way, soak bird for at least a day as much as 3. I use a Gott 5 gal
bev cooler. Use an 8 lb bag of ice in place of 1 gal water. Place only
aromatics in cavity...bay leaves, garlic heads, apples, citrus, rosemary
stems. I like to place orange slices between skin and meat. Smoke ass end
towards fire for 45 minutes/lb @ 225. You can rotate as charring
necessitates. This will result in inedible skin. If you like skin, cook @
300ish. A bigger bird is a higher bird which means the top of the bird will
cook at a higher temp. Keep this in mind. Your first bird should be a 14
lber.

TFM's Brine

1 gal water

5/8 cups pickling salt.

1 1/2 tbs light brown sugar

1 1/2 tbs garlic powder

1/2 tbs chili powder

1/2 tbs ground sage

1 tbs crushed red pepper

1/2 tbs fresh black pepper

2 whole bay leaves

1/2 tbs old bay seasoning

1 tbs italian seasoning

Combine all the ingredients in a stock pot. Bring to a boil, turn heat down
to a simmer. Simmer and stir frequently until all the ingredients are
dissolved. Allow to cool to room temperature before immersing the meat. Use
for 2 chickens

--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry