Posted to alt.food.barbecue
kilikini[_2_] kilikini[_2_] is offline

Default Smoked Turkey

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi, I am new to smoking and was thinking of smoking a Turkey. I have
> been looking at some brine recipies and am thinking of doing one with
> honey in it. Can anybody give me some recomendations on a good brine
> recipie and what wood to use. Also any pointers with smoking a turkey
> would be aperciated.

Ever thought of injecting the bird, rather than brining? We use a mix of
butter, honey and garlic and inject the heck out of the turkey - stab it
everywhere. It makes the bird juicy and in the places you inserted the
needle, you get pockets of buttery, honey-garlic goodness. The juice
disperses into the meat very well, but at the actual entry point of the
needle, it's more concentrated.

We usually smoke ours with hickory and it takes about 4.5 - 5 hours or so.
Well, as everyone knows, it's done when it's done.

kili