Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Louis Cohen Louis Cohen is offline

Default Smoked Turkey

wrote:
> Hi, I am new to smoking and was thinking of smoking a Turkey.

One cup kosher salt and one cup sugar (or brown sugar or molasses etc.)
per gallon of water, plus spices you like, makes a nice brine -
overnight for a large bird. A roasting bag works nicely to hold teh
bird and the brine - that's all they are good for.

I cook mine at regular roasting temp - 350-400° depending on size.
Turkey is lean and tender so it doesn't benefit from low and slow
cooking. You'll need to finish at a high temp to crisp up the skin.
Cook to an internal temp of 160° in the breast touching bone.

Make sure to rest it 30-45 minutes after cooking and before carving.