Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals
Rupert Rupert is offline

Default Where's everybody gone?

Dutch wrote:
> > wrote
> >
> > Dutch wrote:
> >> "Rupert" > wrote in message
> >> oups.com...

> >> Derek talks in circles too.

> >> Any moron knows that, literally. People who think of obvious ideas like
> >> this
> >> as "rights theory" are pompous twits.

> >> No it doesn't, it's bloody simple, unless one's head is firmly implanted
> >> in
> >> one's ass.

> >> I didn't say talking in circles was unique to AR authors, pompous twit, I
> >> said all AR authors do it. Get the difference?

> > Yeah, right, anyone who tries to produce a systematic theory that
> > explains our moral intuitions is talking in circles and is a pompous
> > twit.

> No, anyone who thinks that it is a profound observation of moral philosophy
> that we may act in ways which adversely affect the well-being of others
> without violating their rights is a deluded, pompous twit.

It's a point which is fairly widely agreed upon. It's not supposed to
be profound, but it's something that has to be borne in mind when
trying to come up with an account of what a rights violation is. I
brought it up because you seemed to think Regan is conflating rights
violations with acts which cause harm, which I doubt is the case.