Posted to rec.food.cooking
Victor Sack[_1_] Victor Sack[_1_] is offline

Default Cornish Game Hens

aem > wrote:

> Someone must have better ideas -- ? -aem

They are just baby chicken, with almost exactly the same taste as the
barely mature "adult" chicken sold in supermarkets nowadays. The only
real difference is size. As far as I'm concerned, the very best way to
prepare them is to fry them under press. I have posted it quite a few
times in the years past. Here it is again.

It is an ancient Armenian-Georgian method rather than a recipe, called
_chicken tapaka_ (from _tapa_ a kind of pan), but which is also known in
Italy as _pollo al mattone_ (chicken under bricks). It is best to use a
fresh, not frozen, poussin (baby chicken of about a pound) or a Cornish
hen of that weight.

The way I make it, is first to bring the chicken to room temperature if
necessary, spatchcock it, brush it with oil, sprinkle over some salt,
pepper (I use the wonderfully hot peperoncini I brought from Italy, or
else use some good Cayenne), granulated garlic, as well as some dry
herbs (rosemary or basil) or, if the herbs are fresh, insert them under
the skin (and also garlic if it is pressed or very finely minced). I
then leave it for about 15 minutes. Then I heat a cast iron pan, brush
it lightly with oil, place the chicken onto it, weighing it down with
some considerable weight (I use a heavy cast iron casserole filled with
cans and topped with its heavy lid), and fry them over medium heat for
4-5 minutes on each side. If I were you, I'd practice ahead, for it is
easy to burn the bird if the heat is too high and just as easy to
undercook it if it is too low. You also have to experiment with the
amount of herbs and spices. When made right, the chicken is invariably
very juicy, both white and dark meat.

Victor