Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L.[_2_] -L.[_2_] is offline

Default Cornish Game Hens

aem wrote:
> These little birds have always disappointed me. I look at their
> convenient, even cute, size and I think gee, I ought to be able to do
> something special with these. So far, nothing has worked. I mean,
> yeah, they're always edible and okay, but the skin has never been
> delectable, the flavors -- and I've tried subtle and bold -- never make
> you sit up and take notice. The summary of about a dozen different
> efforts over some years is, frankly, blah.
>
> Tonight I did them on the grill, they having been on sale for less than
> $1 each last week. Whole, not split. Some smoke, some chiles in the
> marinade. They were blah.
>
> Someone must have better ideas -- ?

Funny you should post this - I have 3 thawing right now. For 3 game
hens: I wash them well, clean out the kidneys and pat them dry. I fill
the cavity with 1/3 of a large sweet yellow onion, and a bit of black
pepper. I then rub the skins with canola oil, a tad of salt, black
pepper, granulated garlic, granulated onion and chili powder. I put
them in an oiled pan on a bed of sliced onions with about 1/2 inch
water in the bottom. I bake at 350F for 25 minutes, cover them with
oiled foil, and bake another 25 minutes (add more water if needed).
Uncover, and finish at 400F to brown. Let sit 15 minutes before
serving. They have a really nice flavor and are incredibly moist.

-L.