Peter Aitken

Default Carbonara with bacon...bits?

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
. com...

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 21:22:35 GMT, "Dimitri"
> > > wrote:
> >

> > > Just to be clear the original recipe has the following:
> > >
> > > Pancetta not bacon

> > Those of us who don't like pancetta can substitute bacon...
> > we think the taste isn't the same, it's better.

> Then call it smoked carbonara or bacon carbonara.
>
> That is like saying, I like Asian pears better that apples so I'm going to
> make an apple pie using Asian pears but I'll continue to call it an apple
> pie.
>
> Carbonara is made with Pancetta not bacon, not ham, not sausage, not
> molinari, not Genoa, it's made with Pancetta. For goodness sake make it

with
> salmon jerky if you like but call it something else.

Unfortunately for your claims, Dmitri, carbonara sauce is properly and
traditionally made with smoked American style bacon. In fact it has been
suggested that the sauce originated in WW2 when American soldiers would take
bacon to local women and ask them to make a sauce with it. In Italy it is
usually made with smoked bacon but in Rome the bacon is sometimes replaced
with pork jowl. The use of pancetta is a substitute for the pork jowl.

This information comes from Marcella Hazan's cookbook.

--
Peter Aitken