Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals
chico chupacabra chico chupacabra is offline

Default Where's everybody gone?

Misterina wrote:
>>It *doesn't* "work" as its scammers suggest. Reflexology's benefits don't

> extend beyond palliative results, like reducing stress or in the treatment
> of psychosomatic issues for which there's no underlying health problem to
> treat. While stress reduction *is* important, that's a much lower hurdle to
> clear than the "cure-all" nonsense its advocates claim for it. Reflexology
> has failed to live up to its hype in every double-blind study to which it's
> been subjected. Every single one.
>

> Again, I am not arguing with you about its merits.

Yes, you are.

> You did not answer my question:

Yes, I did.

> what happens IF and WHEN it works?

It doesn't.

> What would you say to someone like me,

I would say, "You're very gullible and prone to accepting (and
providing) anecdotes rather than science."

> who had severe whiplash (and I mean SEVERE) and one half an hour of
> reflexology cured what conventional doctors could not?

As I stated, it's benefits are palliative and tend to "work" for people
with psychosomatic complaints. Thirty-****ing-minutes of foot massage
isn't going to cause systemic changes to your body aside from maybe
helping you relax. While you're providing anecdotes, give it credit for
"curing" your diabetes, gout, dyspepsia, poor eyesight, and every other
malady.

> I can give you the case history should you require that.

It's still *anecdotal*, dummy. When put to double blind study,
reflexology and other "alternative medicine" (oxymoronic) do not deliver
on their promises. I provided you with links. Did you read them to see
if there's any science behind your anecote or are you so closed-minded
that you refuse to look?

> In al curiosity, what if and when?

It doesn't. The only benefits are palliative; reflexology does nothing
systemically beyond helping people relax. So, too, do other non-touch
therapies:

LAUGHTER
http://tinyurl.com/e2mn
http://tinyurl.com/e2mv

MUSIC
http://tinyurl.com/e2nb
http://tinyurl.com/e2nf

ANIMALS/PETS
http://tinyurl.com/e2nn
http://tinyurl.com/e2ns

How do YOU explain that laughing hysterically, listening to soothing
music, and contact with small animals produces the same, or BETTER,
results as foot massage?