Posted to rec.food.cooking
Louis Cohen Louis Cohen is offline

Default Corned Beef vs Salt Beef (naval beef)

Peter wrote:
> I usualy make traditional salt beef stew (east cost stew, newfie stew), with
> salt beef, lots of cabbage, etc. Well, I have been having a hard time
> finding the stuff recently so I purchased corned beef instead today, which
> is similar in its salinity, which gives the stew a unique taste, but very
> different cuts of meat

Where have you been getting salt beef in the past? As an avid reader
of 19th century naval fiction I have heard of salt beef, but had no
idea that it was still made or sold to the public (except as corned
beef).

> My issue is, that it's not getting tender as salt beef usualy did,

In Patrick O'Brian novels, the Royal Navy salt beef is often referred
to as "salt horse"; tender doesn't seem to have been relevant then.

the
> corned beef tastes great but is very tough texture.
>
> My plan at the moment is to cut it in very thin slices instead of cubing
> next time. I think there might be a better alternative? Anyone know a good
> natural way to tenderize corned beef while keeping it cubed?

Long slow simmering may do it, slice across the grain if you can.