Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kate Connally Kate Connally is offline

Default The Time-Life Cookbooks: Foods of the World series

Christine Dabney wrote:

> Heya folks,
>
> A bunch of us in chat tonight got to talking about the Time-Life
> series, The Foods of The World. Seems like most of us, at least in
> chat, have a few volumes of that series.
>
> We were talking about how it was some of our first gourmet cooking,
> and about some of the dishes that were pictured there...
>
> How many of you have some or all of these volumes? Did you do any
> cooking from them? Are the pages soiled with your drooling over some
> of the dishes pictured in those books? Any favorite dishes from this
> series?

I have a couple of them - Indian, Russian, African - plus a
"sampler" in a looseleaf notebook style with sections for various
countries. I'm not sure if this one was put out as a supplement
to the regular series or as a promotion for the series.

Anyway, some of my favorite recipes come from these books.
My Key Lime Pie recipe is one of the very best, although I don't
make the same kind of crust as they do, but the filling part is
the best. I also make several of the Ethiopian breads in the
African cookbook, plus Akara and a few others. I think the
recipe I use for B'stilla is from it as well (haven't made it
in a while and I do have others, but pretty sure I use the Time-Life
version. I've made a couple of things from the Indian one
and many from the Russian one. I often make Kulich and Paska at
Easter from the Russian book.

I love the beautiful texts with all the photos and the history
of the foods in the various countries. And I love that there
is a separate book with just the recipes for use when cooking so
the other book doesn't get all messy.

Kate

--
Kate Connally