Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food
PeterL PeterL is offline

Default Raspberry and Coconut Loaf

"pfoley" > wrote in news:9Rcyg.987$0e5.550
@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net:

> "PeterL" > wrote in message
>> Apparently, this is pretty good. I don't know. I didn't get any :-/
>>
>> The 4 girls in the office demolished it...... now 3 a pledging their
>> undying love for me :-)
>>
>> Or maybe it was the fact I said I was going to make Carrot-walnut-
>> sultana-coconut-pineapple muffins with a Tangello cream cheese frosting
>> for them for today??!!
>>
>> Anyhoos.........
>>
>> Raspberry and Coconut Loaf
>>

>> 1&3/4 cups dessicated coconut
>> 1&1/2 cups coconut milk (that's one 'normal sized' can for us Aussies)
>> 1 cup caster sugar
>> 1 egg, lightly beaten
>> 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
>> 1&2/3 cups self raising flour
>> 1 cup frozen raspberries
>> pure icing sugar, to serve
>>
>> Combine coconut milk and coconut in a bowl. Cover and stand for 30mins.
>>
>> Preheat oven to 170C. Line a 7cm deep, 10.5cm X 20.5cm (base) loaf pan
>> with baking paper. Overhang by 2cm at both long ends. (Doing that is a
>> pain in the ass, I just used my new silicone loaf 'pan')
>>
>> Using a metal spoon, stir sugar, egg and vanilla into the coconut mix.
>> Sift flour over top and gently stir until combined. Fold in the
>> raspberries.
>>
>> Spoon mixture into the pan and bake for 1hr and 15mins, or until a
>> skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool loaf in pan for
>> 10mins. Lift onto a wire rack (it's a heavey sucker too!!) to cool
>> completely. Dust with icing sugar and slice to serve.
>>
>> (Recipe courtesy of Super Food Ideas mag)
>>
>> I'll be making the Greek Yoghurt and Lemon loaf on the weekend/Sunday.
>>
>> --

> The recipe does sound good. What is dessicated coconut?

Dried coconut shreds, very small/fine. We have two sorts, dessicated and
shredded.

> Is caster sugar the same as granulated sugar?

Also called superfine sugar. It is pulverized granulated sugar. It can be
purchased or prepared at home by whizzing some granulated sugar in the
blender.

> By pure icing do you mean a glaze over the top of the bread?

No, it's sprinkled over the top.

http://www.csrsugar.com.au/ViewProduct.aspx?id=8

Once again, we have two sorts. Pure, and Soft Icing Mix.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'