Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Blues Lyne Blues Lyne is offline

Default Looking for the most vegetal "fishy" green possible

"Dominic T." > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I know a few folks around here share my same strange love/addiction to
> the vegetal "fishy" flavored green teas, and I think my addiction has
> grown stronger because even the strongest fishy tasting greens I have
> just aren't cutting it anymore and I don't know where to go for a
> really strong "fishy" tasting green. I know there are many greens I've
> never tried out there, so I turn to you all. My next step is to brew a
> small cuttlefish with my fresh lawn clippings if I can't get my fix,
> please help!
>
> - Dominic

When I first started on the journey beyond tea bags, I came to love this
savory, brothy, vegetal, fishy taste that I found in some of the green teas
that I tried, especially Senchas. I had a Formosa Chin Cha (Pouchong) from
Upton that reminded me of the savoriness of my mother's oyster stew (a milk,
butter, oyster and salt concoction), but with a bit of flower mixed in. I
loved it. At the time I had just started on a diet very limited in salt and
the savory flavor of the teas really hit the spot.

As time has passed, I don't find that flavor in teas anymore. I really miss
it. When I drink Pouchongs now, I just get the flower, with out the
savoriness. I still really enjoy green tea, especially Senchas, but I miss
that warm, brothy, ocean taste. I know some flavors change the more you have
them. My first memories of the taste of beer are nothing like what I taste
now. With beer, it's gotten better over time, but with greenish teas, I
kind of long for that initial taste.

Blues