Posted to rec.food.cooking
Victor Sack[_1_] Victor Sack[_1_] is offline

Default The Time-Life Cookbooks: Foods of the World series

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> BUT --- get this. Are you sitting down? You're gonna love this. I
> have at this VERY moment, a kettle of beets cooking on my stove.

It is a very, very small kettle... shame on you!

> $3
> worth from this morning's farmers market.

Should've spent $300 and got your usual week's supply.

> It is my intention to turn
> these disgusting things into some disgusting pickled beets and enter
> them in the State Fair. It is entertainment, for me if for no one else.

Entertainment... hah! It is yout life's ambition! The pinnacle of
your State Fair career!

> I have no freakin' idea who will taste them for me * Rob is not likely
> to do so.

What do you mean "not likely"?! A beet fanatic like him, who is on the
record of paying $175 for a small jar of the highest quality beets, is
going to taste anything in the beet department most enthusiastically!

> (And I'd shoot myself before I'd ever mix beets with horseradish. Not a
> matter of gilding the lily but one of not desecrating something good.)

You don't desecrate beets by mixing them with horseradish - you create
something much treasured by, among other people, your ancestral Slovaks
and Rusins.

Bubba