Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Bluesea Bluesea is offline

Default Looking for the most vegetal "fishy" green possible

"Dominic T." > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I know a few folks around here share my same strange love/addiction to
> the vegetal "fishy" flavored green teas, and I think my addiction has
> grown stronger because even the strongest fishy tasting greens I have
> just aren't cutting it anymore and I don't know where to go for a
> really strong "fishy" tasting green. I know there are many greens I've
> never tried out there, so I turn to you all. My next step is to brew a
> small cuttlefish with my fresh lawn clippings if I can't get my fix,
> please help!

Although you asked for green tea, I got an oolong sample from Special
Teas last year that was distinctly (and for me, unpleasantly) fishy. It was
#611 Organic Fancy Formosa Oolong, if you're interested.

What causes the fishiness? Fertilizer? Was the tea dried around fish like
Lapsang Souchong is smoky and wood-scented when dried over a wood fire? I
know teas take on a fruit or flowery aroma and flavor if they're grown
nearby or if the tea is dried with flower petals, but it never occurred to
me that tea would be dried in close proximity to fish.

--
~~Bluesea~~