John Duncan Yoyo

Default Iron Chef America: Numerical Grades?

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 17:08:11 GMT, shawn > wrote:

>Shawn H > wrote:
>
>>In rec.arts.tv Sloppy Joe, The Meat King > wrote:
>>
>>: Averages will be posted some time within the next week or after the
>>: replies trickle to an embarrassingly small number not befitting of my
>>: stature as your Meat King.
>>
>>The host's suit didn't have enough ruffles ("a lifetime dedicated to martial
>>arts? Please! So what's he doing on a cooking show then?"), and of course
>>the local chef won. Don't they always? The French chefs win in France, the
>>Japanese in Japan, and now the Americans in america.

>My guess is they knew that people would recognize the Chairman from
>his many martial arts films/TV shows, so they played that aspect up.
>The Japanese chairman was an actor that didn't seem to have many roles
>judging by his IMDB list (which may be very incomplete). I think his
>name is Marc Dracos. He didn't do a horrible job, but I would have
>liked him to have more flair like the Japanese Chairman. Heck, I still
>love how the Chairman starts to crack up before he bites into the
>pepper.

When the Chairman offers Crow as the secret ingredient then we will
know. He is supposed to be Kaga's nephew from what was said in the
introduction special. I do wish he was more of a presence. He is way
too understated. Perhaps if they turned him up to about half-Shatner
he would be better.

>>Bobby Flay's tacos beat Sakai's caviar? Seriously?

>It's possible that the judges really preferred something that they
>were more familiar with. It's tough when you only have three judges
>since their own personal preferences play such a large role in their
>votes.
>
>>It's watchable, but it's got nothing on the originals.

>Agreed. If they keep the show on the air then hopefully they will fine
>tune it. It will never be the same as the original, but it can
>certainly be improved over time.

They are going to show a week of new Japanese episodes next week.
These should be older ones. I guess that they should be digging back
towards the beginning.
--
John Duncan Yoyo