Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,ba.food,rec.food.cooking
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default POISON: Trader Joe's "Fig Cake w/Apricot Kernels"

> wrote in
> ups.com:
>
>> Yesterday, I purchased Trader Joe's "Fig Cake w/Apricot Kernels" (in a
>> 9-ounce round, plastic container), at their store in San Francisco (555
>> 9th St.). When I got home, something bothered me about the apricot
>> kernels (listed as "raw" on the label)...didn't I read somewhere that
>> they contain toxic levels of cyanide (like peach pits)?

IMO, they are using apricot kernels to get around the US ban on bitter
almonds. (Clever, in my opinion) Bitter almonds are an essential
flavoring in some ethnic sweets -- I don't recall where; Eastern Europe,
I think. Apricot kernels are basically the same thing. They are
poisonous in large quantities. In small quantities, they might even be
good for you.

Best regards,
Bob