Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress[_1_] Damsel in dis Dress[_1_] is offline

Default REC - Italian Beef Sandwiches (crockpot recipe)

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 13:11:21 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> Italian Beef Sandwiches

>(Particulars snipped)
>
>> Heat olive oil in skillet; brown the roast on all sides. Place roast
>> in large crockpot. Combine water and remaining ingredients; stir
>> well. Pour over roast; cook on HIGH for 5 hours or until tender.

>(rest of recipe snipped)
>
>Not wishing to impugn your integrity here, Dams, but have you actually
>made this with a 5# roast? Five hours doesn't sound like it would get
>the job done to tender. Even at high power. It sounds tasty, by the
>by.

Yeah, I have. I have a large crockpot. Crash is the Tim Allen of
kitchen appliances. And computers.

You want it tender, but not fall-apart tender, if that makes any
sense. You want to be able to slice it almost paper-thin after
chilling it overnight, so it can't be* too* tender. The thin slicing
makes it easier to eat, too.

Last time I looked for a roast to make this recipe with, they only had
smaller ones, and I would have needed two. And I didn't have $19 to
squander at the time. I'm hoping to find a good sale.

It's really yummy. I use round because I like very lean meat for
sandwiches, and I like large slices. Chuck would work okay, too.
That's what Ariane Jenkins uses.

Carol