Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress[_1_] Damsel in dis Dress[_1_] is offline

Default All Cocoa Is Not Created Equal

I've been looking at the FAQ for this newsgroup, and decided
(surprise, Victor!) to see if I could gather some information for the
chocolate substitutions section. I found out that, according to our
governments, what people in the US call cocoa powder and what people
in the UK call cocoa powder are two different things. I haven't
looked at other countries' standards, because my brains already hurt.

The UK's "cocoa" has at least 20% cocoa butter. The US's "cocoa" has
between 10% and 21% cocoa butter. Is this a meaningful difference
when baking is concerned? If so, what correction would give accurate
results when preparing a recipe from one country with a product from
the other?

(US) [cocoa] less than 22% cacao fat, but not less than 10% cacao fat
(UK) [fat-reduced cocoa] less than 20% cocoa butter

(US) [breakfast cocoa] not less than 22% cacao fat
(UK) [cocoa] not less than 20% cocoa butter

I've never heard of breakfast cocoa before, BTW.

Thanks,
Carol