Rodney Myrvaagnes

Default Tomato juice vs. sauce vs. puree, vs. paste, etc

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 14:57:19 GMT, Julia Altshuler
> wrote:

>I have only minimal experience with making my own tomato sauce from
>scratch meaning that I tried it twice, didn't like it, didn't think my
>results were better than what I can buy in a can and gave up. For
>what's it is worth, here are my tips:

Later in the summer I can get San Marzano -type tomatoes from local
farmers. Blanching, peeling, and seeding gives me a start on a nice
non-watery quick sauce. I blanch them in the water the pasta goes into
later.

Sometimes I mix in some canned tomatoes or puree. But in neither case
does it need hours to cook down.

Indeed, if the tomatoes are good enough, they can be diced and tossed
raw with the hot pasta, along with some garlic, basil leaves,
whatever.

Rodney Myrvaagnes Opinionated old geezer

Brutal dictators are routinely reelected by 90+%
margins. Only in a truly advanced democracy can
one win an election by a negative 600,000 votes.