Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

Default descaling a Gaggia expresso machine

Oh pshaw, on Sat 08 Jul 2006 11:20:19a, zxcvbob meant to say...

> I just dug the ol' expresso machine out of the back of the cabinet after
> a couple of years since it's been used; dusted it off, filled it with
> water and tried to use it. The heater works, the pump works, but no
> water comes out. t's plugged up with scale somewhere.
>
> I put a pint of water and a 1/2 tsp of citric acid in it and let it sit
> for a while and tried it again. No joy. I took the screen off and it
> was clear. I notices a stainless steel bolt (looks like a big
> carburator jet) in the middle under the screen. I unscrwed it with a
> 13mm wrench and it is obviously plugged up. I turned on the pump with
> this jet removed and it works.
>
> I have the jet (online parts store calls it a boiler valve) soaking in
> some vinegar, but I don't know if that'll do it. The valve looks like
> it would come apart with two 13mm wrenches.
>
> Is this something that will clean out OK if I just give it time in the
> vinegar (or citric acid)? Will I ruin it if I take it apart? Will I
> ruin it if I use something stronger, like hydrochloric acid (diluted
> 50%)? I also have phosphoric acid, which is safer for stainless steel,
> but I dunno if it will remove calcium scale.
>
> Worst case is I have to buy a new valve for $20 plus shipping.
> Wha'd'ya think?

You could try CLR and/or coffeepot cleaner. Neither will hurt the machine.
You will still probably have to probe the tiny whole with a needle.

--
Wayne Boatwright

I never met a repo man who didn't do speed.