Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
pp pp is offline

Default Potassium sorbate, sweet wines, dessert wines, etc

Hi Seb:

Okay, I will take it back a bit even though the gist remains - I think
we do tend to overthink things in some areas and this is one of them. I
didn't specify the microns on the filter but I did say "fine", so from
what's readily available, something like the 0.5 micron Minijet pads
should be enough - you can run it through twice if you're really
concerned.

By no means I don't want to disparage amateur wines! The difference in
this context is that commercial enterprises absolutely cannot afford
problems like those so even if the chance is small, they have to take
all precautions. We have the liberty to play around a bit and I see
this as an advantage - yes, we can get occasional problems, but that's
the price one should be willing to pay in search for better results. I
don't want to produce faulty wines, but I am interested in finding the
sweet spot for the tradeoff between safety and quality, so that's where
I am coming from. I might be particularly sensitive to sorbate but I do
find it objectionable both in taste and smell in the regular
recommended doses.

I do agree that you might want to play it safe with expensive juice,
like icewine or late harvest.

Pp