Posted to rec.food.cooking
LadyJane LadyJane is offline

Default Grapefruit

Sooo weird you should ask!

Was Sunday here yesterday and made a late afternoon (6pm) dash to my
local market - superb butchery, deli and fresh fruit & veg.

Picked up a variety of fruit - mandarins (10), watermelon (¼), grapes
(about 1kg)
Some smoked leg ham - $10
And a marinaded lamb leg (boned) for Monday night's dinner ($25ish)
Also collected a handful of chocolate nibbles (it WAS our 29th wedding
anniversary today...had to celebrate!)$9
Got home and thought $78 odd was a tad over the top.. checked the
docket and I'd been charged for GRAPEFRUIT for my watermelon....AND
overcharged on my mandarins BY $1Kg. Not a big drama, but for someone a
tad strapped for cash, would leave you a bit nonplussed. (and out of
pocket)

Admit it was end of day. But still felt a tad miffed. Grapefruit here
at present (which are not available, by the way) was $4.95 Kg whereas
the watermelon was around $2.99.

Won't be bothered taking my docket back & getting refunded the
difference.
Just makes one wonder how often this occurs.
Hmmmmmmm. (Not to self: check dockets in future!)

Also bought 6kg white sugar ($8 or so) to go towards my first batch of
cumquat marmalade of the season..... which is now cooling in a dozen or
so jars.
Decided to put my mandolin to use this time and sliced the cumquats en
masse that way. Worked well, however removing the seeds (and sections
of seeds!!!!!!!) was an utter bitch!
Probably will not use the mandolin next time. Possibly. Maybe. But then
again... the seeds DO float to the surface. Count the mandolin in for
the next batch.

LOVE cumquat marmalade!!!!!!!!!!!
The whole house smells citrusy...maybe it would be a great
'unsmoker'... (someone recently asked ways of disguising 'burnt'
smell... somehow think boiling citrus would work well...really, really
well! Personally I'd opt for simmering some vanilla extract -
expensive I know, but works well...............

LadyJane
--
"Never trust a skinny cook!"

LadyJane