Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Julie Bove Julie Bove is offline

Default Raw Beet Salad

I'm going to have this tonight for dinner along with some of the leftover
corn salad. Salad onions are something I get in my organic produce box.
They may not be available where you live. I think what they are, are onions
that have grown larger than you'd want them for green onions (scallions) but
not large enough for storage onions. Technically you can use the green
tops, but I find them to be too strong tasting. If you can't find these,
sub in a medium mild tasting onion. This would also be yummy with some
shaved parmesan or other cheese, but I can't do cheese because of my dairy
allergy. And you can add some olive oil if you like that in a salad.

5-6 smallish beets (bottoms only)
3 salad onions (bulbs only)
Juice of one lemon
Few sprigs of parsley, chopped
Real Salt (or whatever salt you like)
Freshly ground black pepper
Handful of walnut halves or pieces

Carefully peel the beets and cut into small pieces. Chop the onions and mix
them and the parsley with the beets. Squeeze on the lemon juice and add
salt and pepper to taste. Chill for at least an hour to allow flavors to
blend. Sprinkle walnuts on top just before serving.
--
See my webpage: