Scott T. Jensen

Default The seven major cuisines of the world?

"Snapper" > wrote:
> Once you get past the traditional "major" cuisines...
>
> French
> Chinese
> Indian
> Italian
>
> ...it tends to get a bit tricky to narrow down all of the
> possible choices, combinations and permutations to
> just seven. To get the most bang for your buck, you're
> going to need some chefs with pretty broad repertoires
> to pull it off.

And that raises the question about finding such chefs. How would you and
others go about that? Is there a cooking magazine that all chefs around the
world read? Perhaps a select few? Or would there be a better way to make
such chefs aware of such job openings?

> Off the top of my head, here's what I think I'd go with:
>
> 1. Asian/Pacific Rim (Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Thai,
> Vietnamese, Aussie, etc.)
>
> 2. Eastern European (including Russian, and maybe Austrian(?))
>
> 3. Western European (German, French, Italian, Austrian(?))
>
> 4. Asian Subcontinental (Indian, Bangladeshi, etc.)
>
> 5. Latin (including Spanish, Mexican, South and Central .
> American, Caribbean)
>
> 6. American (including the traditional regional foods, California
> cuisine, Soul Food, etc.)
>
> 7. Middle Eastern/Mediterranean/African (This would include
> Kosher and Halal cooking)

Thanks for your take on this. Seeking to better understand your recommend,
I'd appreciate your take on MrAoD's seven-cuisine recommend and your
thoughts on his evaluation of the American cuisine. His recommend being:

> 1. East Asia
> 2. South Asia
> 3. Southern Europe/Mediterranean (includes Italy/Greece)
> 4. Northern Europe (Alsatian chef, swings between French
> and German
> 5. Spain (preferably a Latin/Southern American chef trained
> in classical Spanish cuisine)
> 6. Arabic/North African
> 7. Eastern Europe/Balkans
>
> American (US) I'd skip. Given our cuisine is largely derived
> from successive waves of physical and cultural immigrants it
> shouldn't be hard for any of the other chefs to cover that
> particular section of the water front.

Scott Jensen
--
Got a business question, problem, or dream?
Discuss it with the professionals that hang out at...