Posted to alt.food.sushi
Talk2Me Talk2Me is offline

Default Japanese vs Korean/Chinese Cuisine IMHO

On Sat, 1 Jul 2006 22:30:25 +0100, Elder
> wrote:

>In article .com>,
says...

>>If kim chee is too strong, the solution is very simple - just rinse it.
>> Sauerkraut too. Fermented cabbage - sauerkraut and kim chee - are
>>super-foods!
>>

>I've only ever had dried Kinchi powder or as a cube with instant
>noodles.
>But I do love Sauerkraut too.
>
>I guess there must be a link to them both being fermented/pickled
>cabbage dishes.

Hello Elder, here's a recipe for Kimchi that I found on "Recipe
Exchange". This recipe is for only a 3-7 day fermentation. I like mine
fermented for at least a month. The flavors seem to meld better.

Enjoy!

***********

Kimchi

1 lb. Napa cabbage – chopped coarsely
1 lb. daikon – peeled, sliced ½ thick & either halve or quarter the
slices depending upon the circumference of the radish
2 carrots, peeled @ sliced ¼ inch thick
5 scallions coarsely sliced
2 ½ T + 2 t salt + 1 t salt
2 T finely minced ginger
1 ½ T finely minced garlic
1 T cayenne pepper, ground

This is a 2-Step process

First step:

In a large bowl, mix 5 cups of water, 2T + 2t salt until dissolved.
Add cabbage, daikon & carrots and weight lightly with a plate to
cover. Soak 12 hours @ room temp.

Second step:

Mix ginger, garlic, cayenne, scallions & 1tsp salt in another large
bowl. Drain cabbage, etc., reserving the salt water. Toss the cabbage,
etc. w/ the spices. Place in a ½ gallon jar (make sure your jar has a
lid) – Cover w/ retained salt water (you won’t use it all), leaving ½
inch head space. Loosely cover with lid (after 24 hours tighten the
lid) and ferment @ room temp. for 3-7 days.