Posted to rec.food.baking
Mike H Mike H is offline

Default Freezing pumpkin help - weird texture?

wrote in news:1151079948.845014.93780
@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

> I recently made a pumpkin pie and froze the leftover canned pumpkin in
> a plastic tupperware container. A week later, I took it out of the
> freezer to thaw it and the texture was really leathery and watery. Did
> I freeze it wrong? Is it still edible?

You froze it, that's basically what you did. My guess is it's leathery
because it's lost a lot of it's moisture.

WHen you freeze plant matter, fruits, veggies, ect, the ice crystals that
form puncture the cell walls, and when they thaw out, the liquid runs out
through the holes. That's why a lot of times you'll see frozen berries
called for in jelly or jam recipes, because you're going to break em down
anyway, it gives them a head start.

Next time, make another pie and freeze the pie.